Prez Nicolas Maduro attack ‘plotter’ killed himself
Fernando Alban was detained for a drone attack on President
News has it that from the Venezuela government that an opposition member being accused for having taken part in a failed drone attack on President Nicolas Maduro, allegedly killed himself, while the opposition claimed he had been murdered.
Speaking to state television, Attorney General Tarek William Saab affirmed that Fernando Alban, who was in pre-trial detention at the headquarters of the intelligence service, was asked to go to the restroom and threw himself from a tenth-floor window.
Alban, a city council member from Caracas, was among at least 15 people arrested and charged for alleged participation in the August 4 incident involving two drones. Maduro was seen reacting on live television to an off-camera explosion while he addressed a military parade in Caracas. A second explosion was heard and then the troops were seen breaking formation and scattering in panic.
Maduro said the blasts were from explosives-laden drones sent to assassinate him, though Opposition figures accuse the President of fabricating the incident to step up repression in his country.
Alban’s First Justice party blamed the government. “We hold Maduro and his regime of torture responsible,” it said in a statement.
Sanjay M Bhaire
(The author is Editor-In-Chief, Across State-Across Mumbai News)
Latest News Updates
Subscribe to our News Updates in Email: